Monday, October 31, 2005

Dream of Hopes Ranch

Last week we started yet another after school program.

After we were kicked out of The Children's Courtyard, I found a home daycare with a lady that worked with both typical and special needs children. (As a backup plan I had a list of daycares and home after-school programs from http://www.familyconnectionsonline.org)

Unfortunately, the after school program at this older lady's home lasted about six weeks and ended up with me writing a check for $200 worth of sheet rock damage. James did fine most of the time because they were on trips most afternoons, but there was about 45 minutes to an hour near the end of the day where he had to be indoors while parents came and picked up their kids. Although the lady that ran the home day care did the best she could (she had a physical disability), James was just too hard to handle at times. I had a feeling there would be problems. As usual, James focused on smaller kids. The first time I took James there he immediately ran to the three toddlers and yelled out "babies!" in glee. He proceeded to squeeze each of them by the wrists, and laughed while making eye contact with each one of them. Looked like something out of National Geographic.

Because of my experience with the Children's Courtyard, I made sure that both parties knew what we were dealing with. Communication was a lot more honest and direct: we talked about a backup plan just in case things did not work out. When things inevitably did not work out, this time I left on relatively good terms and I was referred to Laura Stock, who runs the "Dream of Hopes Ranch," another nearby home day care. Laura and her family works with special needs children and adults, and she even helps them train and compete in the Special Olympics. James went bowling with them last week and was very happy. All of us, including the previous daycare, feel that he's better off here for now. Although James is high functioning and is capable of learning from and interacting with typical children, being in a special needs environment that can accommodate him is important at this stage. He needs physical activity to keep busy, and he needs to be socially accepted, not shunned. So far they love him--he's the youngest kid there, and it seems to be a family environment.

We'll see how it goes, but so far I have a good feeling about the place. This Saturday they invited us to their Halloween party, and I got a chance to see the special needs children and adults James will be with. Everyone is accepting over there. They've dealt with far more challenging situations than James. At this stage of his life, I think James will benefit from this environment.

http://www.dreamofhopesranch.org

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Paul,

I have a 4-year-old son at one of the Children's Courtyard locations in Austin. I was wondering which location you had problems with. Lately my son is pushing the boundaries and I'm not finding that they are giving him any consequences that matter. I am looking for a better place for him, too, mostly because they just don't seem to want to deal with any child who doesn't willingly conform.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home